About Me

My photo
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
I am a professional cyclist for Drapac Pro Cycling. An Australian registered Pro Continental team. My hometown is Dunedin in New Zealand. I also study business and event management. Racing my bike around the globe aiming to get to the highest level in the sport.

Monday, October 22, 2012

October Racing

Its been a busy last few weeks
Recent results in my last 2 races have been-

Nelson Benchmark Round 6 - 1st
Kelvin Hastie Memorial 130km- 1st
Oxford Benchmark Round 7 (final)- 8th with 1st U23 overall classification

They all went really well. In Nelson I managed to take the win, my first Benchmark series win.
It was a good race around a circuit with rolling hills. I got into a breakaway which worked well together to stay off the front. With 5km to go I attacked then Brad Tuhi came across and we worked together to the finish where I out sprinted him for the win.

 Final sprint in the rain


Reta Trotman also got up for the win so it was a great weekend for Cycling Otago Team. Especially after the stress of nearly not making the start with a change in rules from the organiser. Some Nelson imports were brought in as team mates and we set off the make a point which we did.






The next weekend I had the Kelvin Hastie Memorial Otago's biggest one day race.
Kelvin was a talented cyclist that won the first Tour of Southland.

I had a big week training so came into the race tired but on the day I felt great and managed to take the win with a solo attack with 1km to go.










Video of Kelvin Hastie finish


Next up was the final round of the Benchmark Series in Christchurch. I went into the race as the leading Under 23 rider and my aim was to secure this. I'm pleased to report I secured the title win an 8th place after 155km of racing. Big thanks to all the Cycling Otago team mates this year, especially Scott Thomas for the help in the last race. Also a huge thanks to Chris Henderson for helping organise everyone, paying for fuel and lending his van. Also to Ken Lasenby for being the race manager each race. Racing wouldn't be possible without these guys so a big thanks is in order.





Podium with Paul Jesson, NZ Tour de France cyclist and Paralympian medallist
Read about Paul Jesson here

Benchmark Home Series final winners. Benchmark Homes team classification, Me Under23 overall, Mark Spessot masters overall, Robin Reid men overall, Karen Fulton women overall

Scott and I in the bunch


Also thanks to Bruce Wilson Photography for the great photos check out his work here
https://www.facebook.com/brucewilsonphotographynz

No comments:

Post a Comment